- About us
- Field Action
M.B.B.S., M.D., D.B.M. (Mumbai)
Dr. Nilesh Gawde is Asst. Professor at the Centre for Public Health, School of Health Systems Studies. He is MD in Preventive and Social Medicine (PSM) from Mumbai University. He has worked as WHO RNTCP medical consultant for Madhya Pradesh and as Technical Officer (STI) under Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation's Avahan initiative before joining TISS.
His interest areas include HIV, tuberculosis, migration, non-communicable diseases, and information systems. He has been member of ethics committees - The Humsafar Trust (IRB) in the past and TISS IRB, Alliance India IRB currently
Assessment of Early Infant Diagnosis of HIV in India commissioned by National AIDS Control Organisation and funded by GFATM
Morbidity prevalence and Treatment seeking behaviour funded by ICMR
Response of urban health services to road traffic injuries funded by ICMR
Global Adult Tobacco Survey (India)-2 (with Prof. Sundararaman and others in SHSS); Duration: From January 2016 to June 2017 (18 months); Funding: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, New Delhi, WHO and CDC foundation; Involvement in the project: One of the core team members.
‘Evaluation Study of Community Action for Nutrition Project implemented by SATHI’ commissioned and funded by Tribal Research and Training Institute (TRTI), Maharashtra
1. Gawde N. Do we need notification of tuberculosis? A public health perspective. Indian Journal of Medical Ethics [Internet]. 2013 Jan [cited 2019 May 17];(1).
2. Gawde NC. A Study of Musculoskeletal Pain among Hotel Employees, India. Journal of Ecophysiology and Occupational Health. 2018 Sep 6;18(1 & 2):44–51.
3. Gawde NC, Sivakami M, Babu BV. Utilization of Maternal Health Services Among Internal Migrants in Mumbai, India. J Biosoc Sci. 2016 Nov;48(6):767–96.
4. Gawde NC. Early infant diagnosis and post-exposure prophylaxis for HIV- exposed infants. Indian Journal of Medical Ethics [Internet]. 2016 Apr [cited 2019 May 17];(2).
5. Gawde NC, Sivakami M, Babu BV. Building Partnership to Improve Migrants’ Access to Healthcare in Mumbai. Front Public Health [Internet]. 2015 Nov 16 [cited 2022 Apr 3];3.
6. Gawde N, Hadaye R, Pandit D. An Interventional Study of Health Education Related to Diarrhoea, Personal Hygiene and Environmental Hygiene Among School Children. Journal of Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences University. 2012;7(1):32–5.
7. Gawde N, Kamble S, Goel N, Nikhare K, Bembalkar S, Thorwat M, et al. Loss to follow-up of HIV-exposed infants for confirmatory HIV test under Early Infant Diagnosis program in India: analysis of national-level data from reference laboratories. BMC Pediatr. 2022 Oct 18;22(1):602.
8. Gawde N, Kamble S, Kurle S, Jagtap D, Goel N, Nikhare K, et al. Determinants of Turn-Around-Time for Early Infant Diagnosis of HIV Testing: Retrospective Analysis of National Level PCR Testing Data. INQUIRY. 2023 Jan;60:004695802311594.
9. Gawde N, Mahashur A. Management of Pulmonary Tuberculosis Including Drug-Resistant Cases in Private Sector of Mumbai, India. IJTDH. 2016 Jan 10;14(1):1–12.
10. Gawde N, Nasirabadi M, Shah N, Nagaonkar S. Psychiatric morbidity in an urban slum of Mumbai: Cross sectional study. Asian Journal of Psychiatry. 2013 Dec;6(6):478–82.
11. Gawde N, Quazi Syed Z. Determinants of Quit Attempts and Short-Term Abstinence among Smokers in India: Global Adult Tobacco Survey, 2016-17. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2023 Jul 1;24(7):2279–88.
12. Gawde N, Sivakami M, Babu BV. Migration and child immunisation.pdf. The Journal of Family Welfare. 2018;62(special):27–40.
13. Gawde N, Kurlikar P. Chronic disease risk factors among hotel workers. Indian Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2016;20(1):14–20.
Field Action Projects:
Saksham Prerak (2018-21) under TGF grant (PR – Plan India): Capacity building of staff nurses and ANM for establishing FICTCs and capacity building of NACP counsellors
Saksham Pramaan (2021-23) under TGF (PR – NACO): Evaluations of targeted interventions and LWS, programmatic evaluations
Dr. Nilesh has been teaching four masters courses, namely - Management of National Health Programmes, Health Management Information Systems, Epidemiology of Non-communicable Diseases and Mental Illness and Ecology and Health. He has also taught Public Health Perspectives for scholars.