Dean, Academics ,
, Mumbai campus
More than two decades of my professional career include work in direct community mobilisation, participatory research and training and capacity building in government training institutions before joining TISS as a full time faculty member in 1999. My research and publications are mostly in the thematic areas of Communalism, Conflicts and Peace Processes, Minority Rights, Social Innovation and People Centred Development and Social Enterprises. I have been engaged in many international collaborative researches and academic engagements with universities from USA, UK, Sweden, Denmark, Turkey, Brazil and Belgium and have been visiting professor / fellow with University of Gavle, Sweden, Tampere University, Finland and Roskilde University Denmark. I along with colleagues from six universities in Europe, Americas and Africa have founded a global alliance of progressive universities "Critical Edge Alliance" to promote critical and innovative approaches in Higher Education. I currenlty holding the position of member of board of trustees of Non-profit organisations Society for Awareness Harmony and Equal Rights (SAHER) and Mumbai Education, Research, Innovation and Training (MERIT) Trust. As the Regional President (South Asia) of the International Council on Social Welfare (ICSW) and a member of International Association of Schools of Social Work (IASSW), I am engaged in promoting Global Agenda for Social Work and Social Development. Being a member of European Research Network on Social Enterprises (EMES), Belgium, I function as the Member of the Scientific Committee of Biennial Conference of EMES.
Social Conflicts and Social Relations
Communalism and Communal Expressions
Social Innovation and People Centred Development
Poverty and Marginality
Shajahan P.K. and Lars Hulgard, Institutionalisation of People Centred Social Innovation in Kudumbashree, Kerala (forthcoming)
Singla, Rashmi, P.K. Shajahan and Sujata Sriram, (Indian) Diasporic Communities: Transforming Belongings, Marginalities and Transnationalism (forthcoming)
Shajahan, P.K. and Nadiya Marakkath, Social Enterprise Models in India: Nature, Identity and Challenges (forthcoming)
Jha, Manish K, P.K. Shajahan and Mouleshri Vyas (2014), Biopolitics and Urban Governmentality In: S. Mezzandra, J Reid and R Samaddar (eds), Biopolitics and Development: Reading Michael Foucault in the Postcolonial Present, New Delhi, Springer.
Shajahan P.K and Pooja Sharma (2014), Inequalities in India: Tracing the Trajectories and Challenges, Draft Report on Inequality in India for the Global Agenda Programme of the International Council on Social Welfare (ICSW Global)
Hulgard, L and P.K. Shajahan (2013), Social Innovation and People Centred Development In F. Mouleart, D. MacCallum, A. Mehmood and A. Hamdouch (Eds), The International Handbook on Social Innovation: Collective Action, Social Learning and Transdisciplinary Research, Cheltenham (UK), Edward Elgar.
Shajahan, P.K. (2013), Towards Inclusive Communities In V Suryanarayan and T. Joseph (Eds), Conflict Resolution in South Asia, New Delhi, Reference Press.
Shajahan, P.K. (2013), Social Protection for All: The disconnect between Global Perspectives and Local Realities, Global Cooperation Newsletter, June 2013. Can be accessed at http://www.icsw.org/publication/gnl.htm
Shajahan, P.K., (2012). Mythscapes of Communal Expressions, New Delhi, AlterNotes Press.
Jha, Manoj K and P.K. Shajahan (2010), Social Topography of Delineated Others: Muslims in Contemporary India In: A. Waheed(Ed.) Minority Education in India, Delhi, SERIALS Publications.
Shajahan, P.K. (2009), Demons, Proselytizers and Liquid Fear: Communal Expressions in Contemporary India In: S. Sharma and M. K. Jha (Eds), In Opposition to Silence, New Delhi, AlterNotes Press.
1. Poverty and Shame in Global Urban Contexts, A collaborative Research with University of Oslo and Akhersus, Norway (Funding Awaited)
2. Global Models on Social Work and Civil Engagements, International Research Staff Exchange Scheme of FP7 stream of European Commission – A collaborative Research Project across 10 countries coordinated by Coventry University, UK
3. International Comparative Research on Social Enterprise Models (ICSEM) promoted by EMES, European Social Enterprises Research Network, Belgium
4. Understanding the ‘Water People’: A Study of the Life and Experience of Lake Dwellers of Kashmir (proposal approved by UGC under Major Research Projects)
5. Social Innovation and People Centred Development, A collaborative project with University of Roskilde, Denmark.
6. Exploring Good Practices in Overcoming Deprivations, A UKIERI Project in collaboration with University of East London, UK.
7. Study on NGO/Civil Society Organization (CSO) initiatives for the Development & Empowerment of Muslims in India, commissioned by Sadbhavana Trust New Delhi.
8. Conflicts, Development and Livelihoods among Dal communities in Srinagar, Kashmir, India
9. Contribution of CARITAS to Social Development in India, Commissioned by CARITAS India.
Theoretical Perspectives for Community Practice
Society Conflicts and Peace Processes
Conflicts and Conflicts Analysis
Human Security: Concepts Trends and Perspectives
Phone (Direct): +91 22 2552 5477
The site works best on Firefox 30+ Google Chrome 45+ iOS Safari 8+ Internet Explorer 10+ Android 4.2+ Browser / Chrome Browser