, Mumbai campus
M.Sc. in Applied Geology,M.Tech. in Geological Remote Sensing and Geoinformatics (Bharathidasan University),Ph.D. in Geology (Periyar University, Salem)
Dr. Ramesh is an Assistant Professor in the field of Geoinformatics at Centre for Geoinformatics, Jamsetji Tata School of Disaster Studies, TISS, Mumbai Since 2015. He has been teaching courses in the area of Geoinformatics in Disaster Studies to M.A./M.Sc., and M.Phil/Ph.D. and guiding masters as well as integrated M.Phil/Ph.D students. His research areas include, Natural Disaster (Hazard/Susceptibility, Vulnerability, and Risk) mapping using geostatistical models and field based techniques through Geoinformatics techniques. His current research includes drought assessment in part of Marathwada region, Aerosol hazard and social vulnerability mapping of Mumbai City, Landslide study in part of Asian Highway 1, Urban flood susceptibility mapping of Mumbai city. My other fields of expertise are Geotechnical analyses of rock and soil slope stability using geomechanical classification systems, Natural resource mapping, Rainfall threshold analyses, Infrastructure facilities mapping, public participatory GIS.
Membership in Professional Bodies/Societies
Member - American Geophysical Union (AGU), USA (Berkner 2018)
Life Member - Indian Society of Geomatics (ISG), Ahmedabad
Remote Sensing and Geographic Information System (GIS)
Digital Image Processing and Photogrammetry
Geostatistical Analyses in Natural Hazard/Vulnerability/Risk Mapping
Geotechnical - Slope Stability Analyses
Rainfall Threshold Analyses
M.Tech., (1 Completed)
1. Sayed Sumaira Iqbal – Geoinformatics in Flood Susceptibility Zonation mapping of Mumbai, Maharashtra, India, using Frequency Ratio and Fuzzy Gamma Operator Models. (2018)
M.Sc., /M.A., (9 Completed; 5 Ongoing)
1. Shweta Bhardwaj – Application of Geoinformatics in Flood Susceptibility Zonation Mapping using Dempster Shafer’s Evidential Belief Function (EBF) in Chalakudy Taluk, Thrissur, Kerala, India. (2019)
2. Madhurima Chakraborty – Application of Geoinformatics in Drought Hazard Assessment and Mapping using Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP) Model in Purulia District, West Bengal. (2019)
3. Nongmaithen Bragy Singh – Application of Geoinformatics in Landslide Hazard Zonation Mapping using Fuzzy Gamma Operator model in part of Trans-Asian highway (AH-1) (Mao-Kangpokpi), Manipur, India. (2019)
4. Pradnya Harishchandra Pawaskar – GIS Based Evaluation of Water Quality Index in Part of Vashishthi River of Maharashtra. (2019)
5. Sourav Adhikari – Geoinformatics in Flood Susceptibility Mapping in part of Kolkata Municipal Corporation using Artificial Neural Network (ANN) Model. (2018)
6. Ankur Negi – Landslide Susceptibility Zonation Mapping using Statistical Index and Analytical Hierarchy Process – A study in part of National Highway – 58, Uttarakhand. (2017)
7. Sriram A – Flood susceptibility zonation and vulnerability mapping using Geo-informatics and Participatory GIS (PGIS) approach in Parangipettai Town Panchayat, Cuddalore District, Tamil Nadu. (2017)
8. Ashar Ajaz Quadri – Flood Susceptibility Mapping in part of Jale and Singhwara Block of Darbhanga in Bihar, India. (2017)
9. Nikita Nair – Geoinformatics Based Meteorological and Agricultural Drought Assessment in Latur District, Maharashtra, India. (2017)
Research Papers (Chapters) In Edited Books & Proceedings
RESEARCH / TRAINING GRANTS RECEIVED AS PI AND CO-PI
U.S. Department of Space
Developing and Improving Disaster Management Studies Course in India.
Project PI: Dr. Thomas Oommen (MTU)
Project Leads (TISS)
Dr. Ramesh Veerappan
Dr. Guru Balamurugan
NRDMS, DST, Govt. of India
21days Training Programme on "Geospatial Technology" Emphasis on Basic Concepts and Applications"
Dr. V Ramesh
Research Council, TISS
Drought Assessment using remote sensing and Geographical Information Systems (GIS) techniques in part of Aurangabad Division (Marathwada Region), Maharashtra, India.
06th April 2017-5th April 2019 (Ongoing)
PI: Dr. V. Ramesh
21 Days Training Programme on "Geospatial Technology" Emphasis on Planning and Policy Development
Dr. Guru Balamurugan
Prof. Dr. Anbazhagan
Dr. V. Ramesh
DISASTER RESPONSE AND FIELD ACTION PROJECTS
Kerala Flood Response 2018 – TISS along with District Collectrate of Alappuzha District and Kerala State Disaster Management Autority (KSDMA), involved in extensive field work to generate the geospatial database of different features like culverts/bridges, gruel centres, animal camps, and public distribution system offices using GIS technique in Kuttanad Taluk which is highly flood affected region in Azhapuzha district.
PG degree in disaster management (4 courses)
MPhil/PhD Courses (2 Courses)
Dr. V. Ramesh, M.Tech., Ph.D.
Centre for Geoinformatics,
Jamsetji Tata School of Disaster Studies (JTSDS),
Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS),
Malti and Jal A. D. Naoroji Campus (Annex)
Post Box No: 8313, Deonar Farm Road, Deonar,
Mumbai - 400088, Maharashtra, India.
The site works best on Firefox 30+ Google Chrome 45+ iOS Safari 8+ Internet Explorer 10+ Android 4.2+ Browser / Chrome Browser